Water leaks are one of the most common problems in commercial roofing systems. Water leaks cause significant damage to the exterior and interior of commercial buildings, like flooding, structural damage, and wood rot. It also increases the risk of mold, which grows in moist environments. Roof damages further lead to costly repairs.
Showalter Roofing’s commercial roofing contractors are here to help. We’re always available to monitor, fix, and maintain your rooftop to avoid leaks and other roof penetrations. Contact us today for a free quote and consultation!
Common Causes of Roof Leaks
The five most common causes of commercial roof leaks are
- Damaged Roof Membranes: The most common cause of roof leaks is damaged membranes. When there’s damage to the roof’s substrate, there are more opportunities for leaks. Foot traffic, weather, and heavy equipment can all damage the roof membrane.
- Drainage System Issues: Another common problem is poor drainage. Typically, this occurs when the drains, gutters, downspouts, and scuppers break or clog with debris. In the winter, ice dams and heavy snow can also damage the drainage system. Winter damages can lead to more pooling water and leaks when temperatures warm up in the spring.
- Deteriorating Seals: Flat commercial roofs commonly feature other applications, like HVAC units, skylights, and vents. If the sealant around these protrusions cracks, it opens holes in the substrate. Open penetrations can lead to more leaks.
- Weather: Heavy winds, hail, rain, and snow can significantly damage the roof. Although more spontaneous than wear and tear or heavy equipment damages, inclement weather can increase the risk of leaks and other breakages with little foresight.
- Flashing Damage: Flashing refers to sealing the corners, edges, and spaces on a commercial roof. Although weather and other obtrusions quicken the breakdown of your roof’s flashing, it naturally breaks down over time. With that, damaged roof flashings increase the risk of more leaks and obstructions.
Many of these issues are easily fixable with regular commercial roof maintenance plans. If you notice any of these issues or want someone to spot problems before they worsen, schedule a free onsite consultation with Showalter Roofing today.
How to Fix a Commercial Roof Leak
Showalter Roofing’s expert roofers have the tools, knowledge, and training to handle all roof leaks and breakages. When fixing commercial roof leaks, we have a thorough process in place:
- Locate the Leak: Our professional roofers comb over the entire roof for any signs of leaks and wear. We can spot bubbling, cracking, and blistering. We also look for signs of water damage or staining on the walls and ceilings inside the commercial building.
- Minimize Damages: Before fixing the leak, we clear the area. We’ll place containers and tarps around the roof to prevent further leakage.
- Fix the Leak: After we finish all precautionary steps, we do extensive roof repairs. We apply the appropriate primer to the rooftop. We wait a day for the primer to dry. Then, we apply a new coating to the membrane.
You may want to contact your insurance agent to discuss policy coverage if there are signs of water or structural damage. Additionally, we can go over all manufacturer warranties on your roofing products.
Call Showalter Roofing for Professional Repairs
If you suspect leaks on your commercial roof, call Showalter Roofing today at 630-499-7700. We offer fast and affordable commercial roof repairs, maintenance, and installation services. Showalter Roofing has served the Midwest and Southeast United States for over 50 years. We value your time and budget, so you can relax knowing you have the best hands for the job.