Renovating your roof? Read this list of things to know before you begin.
- Keep up appearances: Never forget to consider the look and styling of your roofing.
- Sneak a peek: Inspect your roof from a safe vantage point with binoculars, looking for cracking, curling, and missing shingles.
- Know the code: Check your local municipal building department to find out how many times you may re-cover an existing roof with the same materials.
- Take a picture: Many contractors can take a digital image of your home and show you how it would look with different roofing materials.
- Get it in writing: You should get a detailed proposal from your roofing contractor that describes the style and materials of the work, as well as an outline of the work to be done.
- Consider alternatives: There are certain roofing materials that mimic others, such as synthetic materials designed to have the same appearance as wood shingles but are more fire-resistant.
- Vent a little: We already discussed the importance of attic ventilation and how it ensures a long and functional life for your roof.
- Do your research: Visit Showalter’s website for more tips and guidelines, and meet our team of residential roofers!
Courtesy of Better Homes and Gardens